Keep up with the addict

FO: a bit of green

Yarn: J. Knits :: Superwash Me – Light Sock [Maine] : 275yds/251.5m
Needles: Knit Picks Nickel Plated Options :: US4/3.5mm
Start: 26 June 2009
Finish: 6 September 2009
Made for: me
Pattern: Milkweed Shawl [Laura Chau]

This post is quite past due, but it wouldn’t be me if it weren’t, right?

Anyway, I completed this project specifically to wear at Rhinebeck.  I went to the festival with members of my knitting group again this year.  Last year, six of us braved the cold and the cabin camping together and when we went to take a group photo at the end of our adventurous weekend, all the knitters except me were wearing something handmade and red.  I was wearing some handmade pieces but they were not red.

I felt very left out; so, this year, I proposed (with the support of some other members) the institution of a House Colors project.  The concept was for each of the people going up as part of our group to make something to wear to the festival that was of the same color.  We took a vote and green won!!  Hence…

I meant to take some photos of the shawl in action at the festival, but promptly forgot once surrounded by all the fiber, food and friends on festival day.  Consequently, this post has been waiting until I had time to take some decent photographs.

Ever since I saw the Milkweed Shawl appear on cosmicpluto knits!, I knew that I had to knit it.  It is a very simple pattern that knits up rather quickly.  Best of all, the garter stitch background means no purling back.  Worked from the center neck outward towards the edge, I was especially grateful for the lack of purling when getting into the long rows at the end of the project.  What made the pattern so appealing, though, was the simple, graphic nature of the lace design:

I was also excited about the fact that it is a shawl that is on the smaller side, which meant that it would be very wearable for me, as a guy.  My intention when choosing this pattern for my House Colors project was to be able to use the shawl as a scarf.  In this way, I would have something to keep my neck warm but, at the same time, be a little more interesting in construction and visual appeal than a more typical rectangular scarf.

In my usual fashion, I did not knit a gauge swatch; and, being the tight knitter that I am, the resulting piece was about 19″ shorter than the measurements given in the pattern after blocking to the limits of the yarn.  Thankfully, it still works well for its intended destiny as a visually appealing scarf.  Speaking of visual appeal, I love the scalloped edge.

Not as pronounced as the original, but still lovely and organic.

When the color was chosen for the House Colors project, my mind immediately wandered to this yarn.  I purchased this particular skein of yarn towards the beginning of my venture back into knitting.  While wandering around my LYS, this particular yarn drew my attention with its wonderfully saturated color, slightly variegated and earthy.  When I finally gave myself over to fondling it, I knew that I had to own it.  Sadly, it has been wallowing in my stash for quite a while now, just waiting for the perfect project.

I would say that it has now found its perfect project…

Best of all, I still have quite a bit left that I’m considering using, paired with a lovely burnt orange alpaca, in a pattern for fingerless mitts that has been ruminating in my head for a few weeks now.